Monday, January 21, 2008

I Did It...I Really Did It!

...drove a vehicle on the road in traffic, that is. I had my first driving lesson today. As much as my hubby says he can teach me how to drive, he really just doesn't have the time. Take last week for example, he works full-time so when he is working his day shifts, he goes to work in the dark and comes home in the dark. Plus if we were to go "practice driving", we would also have to take the kids with us and I REALLY DON'T WANT TO have to bring them along until I'm more confident with myself and my driving alone (or with just an adult passenger). Plus, last time I had my Beginner's and I had people helping me learn how to drive , I just never got enough experience or the practice I needed. Needless to say, this time I made a decision to take some driver's ed courses. I have two more scheduled for next week. Wow!, I must say that I'm pretty good at multi-tasking as a mother/wife/homemaker etc but when it comes to driving.....I was sweating bullets. The instructor was constantly having to put the window defrost on as the windows kept fogging up (due to my nervousness). When we first started out I just controlled the steering wheel and my instructor did the brake and accelorator pedals. Then about halfway through the lesson as I was feeling more relaxed and comfortable,I did all three - the steering wheel, brake, and accelorator. AHHHHHH! Experienced drivers make it look so easy. I came home and promised my hubby that I won't talk to him any more while he is driving. He just laughed. I'm looking forward to our lessons next week and hoping I get more comfortable with handling the car so I can atleast relax my grip on the steering wheel some. Oh, and how do you short drivers (vertically challenged- is that more politically correct :)) manage to see the road infront of you and reach the pedals of the car? Even with my seat all the way forward, I felt like I needed longer toes/toenails, and a higher seat. If nothing else, atleast it will encourage me to sit up and have good posture. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For safety's sake you might want to look into something to deal with the issue of not being able to reach the pedals well. You could either get a seat installed that can go forward and tilt and up/down - that way you can get the perfect spot for yourself and Cliff can adjust for him. The other is they do have pedal extenders. It wouldn't be a bad idea to at least look into. You don't want to be in an emergency and struggling to reach the pedal properly.