Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Egg Hunt

This Easter my mom was babysitting the kids as both my husband and I had to work. Since there was still alot of snow outside and the grass you could see was very soggy, my mom decided we just wouldn't have an Easter egg hunt this year. "The kids won't mind will they?!"....my first thought was, "Like Yeah...what a rip!" so I decided to make up an Easter egg scavenger hunt of sorts they could do inside. I then read an idea where you could also incorporate scripture verses and the Easter story into it, I thought this was awesome and this is what I came up with. Once hubby & I got off work and to my Mom's house we hid the eggs with the clues & scriptures and the kids loved it. Before we started I explained that in each egg would be a scripture on colored paper and we'd read that first before the next clue and on and on. I used the Message Bible to write the scripture verses:

Egg#1 (I gave this egg to the kids to start things off)
-Clue: Happy Easter. This is clue #1, sending you on your way
At this treasure hunts end you will find
An Easter treat made with you in mind
Under the table where you eat your food
You will find clue number two.

Egg#2 (under the kitchen table)
-Scripture: John 1:1-3 The Word was first, the Word present to God, God present to the Word. The Word was God, in readiness for God from day one. Everything was created through him; nothing-not one thing!-came into being without him.
-Clue: Well done you found the second clue
Is the next one far?
Perhaps you might try looking on the one you call Grandma

Egg#3 (in Grandma's pocket)
-Scripture: John 3:16 This is how much God loved the world: He gave His only son, his one and only son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.
-Clue: To check her mail, Grandma must go to her front door
Hiding in her mailbox is clue number four.

Egg#4 (in the mailbox)
-Scripture: Matthew 11:28-30 Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me-watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely.
-Clue: You will get your treat yet
Is there one by the tv set?
This guy is green and groovy
Your clue is by Grandma's favorite Christmas movie

Egg#5 (beside The Grinch movie)
-Scripture: John 8:12 Jesus once again addressed them, "I am the world's light. No one who follows me stumbles around in the darkness. I provide plenty of light to live in."
-Clue: Look around the livingroom and find a pooh Bear
Do yu think you might find another clue there?

Egg#6 (on Pooh Bear)
-Scripture: Mark 8:35-36 You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? What could you ever trade your soul for?
-Clue: You scraped you knee and said "boo-hoo"
Where the bandaids are, you'll find clue #7 too.

Egg#7 (inside the medicine cabinet)
-Scripture: Mathew16:16 And Simon Peter said, "You're the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of the living God."
-Clue: You are getting close to finding your treat
Look for a clue by Grandpa's seat

Egg#8 (in Grandpa's chair)
-Scripture: John 14:6 Jesus said, "I an the Road, also the Truth, also the Life. No one gets to the Father apart from me."
-Clue: Scrape the scraps off all the plates
When this machine works, it cleans them just great.

Egg#9 (in the dishwasher)
-Scripture: Luke 23:46 Jesus called loudly, "Father, I place my life in your hands; Then he breathed his last breath.
-Clue: Go where sleepy dogs, teddys, and dolls lay their heads at night
And find clue number ten you just might.

Egg#10 (under doll's pillow in doll crib)
*EGG EMPTY* - Give scripture and clue to kids and after reading the scripture explain that the egg was empty just like Jesus' tomb.
-Scripture: Mark 16:4-6 Then they looked up, saw that it had been rolled back- it was a huge stone- and walked right in. They saw a young man sitting on the side, all dressed in white. They were completely taken back, astonished. He said, "Don't be afraid. I know you were looking for Jesus the Nazerene, the one they nailed on the cross. He's been raised up; he's here no longer. You can see for yourselves that the place is empty.
-Clue: It's almost suppertime and the table needs to bet set
In a white kitchen drawer
You'll find knives, forks and spoons
Look inside and you may find something more.

Egg#11 (in cutlery drawer)
-Scripture: Luke 24: 36-40 While they were saying all this, Jesus appeared to them and said, "Peace be with you." They thought they were seeing a ghost and were scared half to death. He continued with them. "Don't be upset, and don't let all these doubting questions take over. Look at my hands; look at my feet- it's really me. Touch me. Look me over from head to toe. A ghost doesn't have muscle and bone like this." And as he said this, he showed them his hands and feet.
-Clue: The Easter gifts are near now
On this I'd like to bet
The next place that they're hiding in
You get clean and they might get wet.

3 Easter gift bags one with each kid's name on it (in the bathtub)
In the bags I got them a 1LB chocolate bunny, an umbrella (Cars-Liam;, Hannah Montana-Autumn; Bakugan-Wynn) and a streamer/ribbon( like what you use in gymnastics) on a stick. The kids had a great time and it was even raining so when we went home they got to try out their new umbrellas.

No comments: